Question 5 – How did you attract/address your audience?

Since we had researched the age in which made up the largest audience for thriller films, we decided to target our film at young adults in particular. We also decided to target towards both male and females.

Furthermore, we discovered that often the groups of people targeted are also the groups shown. Due to this we came to the conclusion that it was best to have a young actor as the main character in the opening sequence. We did this to appeal to the audience that we were targeting, as they would relate most. To ensure this was the case, we presented the main character, Matt, to be an average young adult.

His clothes are a typical smart/casual, which the audience can assume is because he has just come from work or school. Moreover, we decided that it was important to make Matt look as convincing as possible to make the movie realistic and believable to the audience as this way they would be most interested. To do this we needed the mise en scene to reflect a young adult.

Furthermore, we included his phone at the end of the opening sequence when showing the text messages from his girlfriend asking where he was. The phone we used was a modern style to prove that he is in touch with technology as most of the audience from this generation would be and so this makes the film more realistic and modernized.

In addition, the location that we had chosen contains a lot of spray-painting and this adds to the overall image that we were looking to make. The spray paint reflects the typical youth rebellion and carelessness, which much of the audience will be able to relate to.

To interest the audience we thought that a male character would be appropriate. This is because it challenges the stereotype of men being strong and dominant in contrast to women being the victim majority of the time. We thought that with this switch up, and the male character being a victim that this would entice the audience and make them curious as to what happened for him to be in a hostage situation.

Question 6 -What have you learnt about the technologies from the process of constructing this product?

Through the process of making our thriller opening sequence we have found it difficult and challenging when we used types of technologies that we hadn’t necessarily used before. For example we had never used imovie in this way before therefore we had to use tutorials for parts of it to be able to use different effects to make our thriller look effective and realistic. We used a tutorial for our white fade in transition as we wanted our different shots to flow smoothly from one to the other as the environments and the contrasts were very different. It also made our flashback look more dream like adding effect.

We learnt how to download a particular font for our Title as we wanted our font to look as effective as possible. The font took us an hour to figure out how to download it but now we will be able to successfully be able to download more fonts if needs be in the future. This might help us with our music video if we decide to use another font that isn’t already installed on imovie.

For media studies we had to use a blog. This was difficult, as we had never used a blog before. We had to learn how to upload things and edit our blog so it looks more appealing. I have changed my blog multiple times as I wasn’t certain how to use it. I then realised that you had to use tags and categorize your items that upload. Now because I have learnt how to use a blog my word press is significantly better and isn’t messy and jumbled.

Overall, I have learnt multiple amounts to do with new technologies through this process. All I have learnt will benefit me in the future through my course and this would have also improved our thriller opening sequence as the technologies used were more sophisticated and not imovie relatable.

Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.

Up ↑